The Collin County Prison was designed by
F.E. Ruffini. Completed in 1880, it was in service until 1979 and
designated a Texas historic landmark in 1990.
During its 99-year service, the prison
housed some infamous criminals, including Frank James; Raymond Hamilton
and Ralph Fults, members of the Bonnie and Clyde's gang; and Charles
"Tex" Watson of the Manson Family.
The prison was the site of the last of
three legal hangings in Collin County before the State assumed the task
in 1923. On November 17, 1922, and impromptu gallows was set up with a
plank running through two windows of an upper corner.
Convicted of killing a man and sinking the corpse in a well, Ezell Stepp
was hanged and then buried in Horn Cemetery in an unmarked grave.
Mark Johnson took some pictures of the
prison in 1999 before it was renovated (including the one seen here).
They can be seen at McKinney Online!
Below are pictures of the first phase of
the interior renovation being completed by Ricks Woodworking.